About Colloidal Silica
Colloidal Silica usually is suspended in an aqueous phase that is stabilized electrostatically. Colloidal silicas exhibit particle densities in the range of 2.1 to 2.3 g/cm3.
Most colloidal silicas are prepared as monodisperse suspensions with particle sizes ranging from approximately 2 to 100 nm in diameter. Polydisperse suspensions can also be synthesized and have roughly the same limits in particle size. Smaller particles are difficult to stabilize while particles much greater than 150 nanometers are subject to sedimentation.
- In papermaking colloidal silica is used as a drainage aid. It increases the amount of cationic starch that can be retained in the paper. Cationic starch is added as sizing agent to increase the dry strength of the paper.
- High temperature binders
- Investment casting – used in moulds
- An abrasive – for polishing silicon wafers
- Carbonless paper
- Moisture Absorbent
- It increases the bulk & tapped density of powders and granules
- It is used as a free-flow agent to assist powder flow, e.g. in tabletting, by reducing the angle of repose of bulk powder.
- Stabilizing and rigidizing refractory ceramic fiber (fiberfrax) blankets
- Abrasion-resistant coatings
- Increasing friction – used to coat waxed floors, textile fibers and railway tracks to promote traction
- Antisoiling – fills micropores to prevent take up of dirt and other particles into textiles
- Surfactant – used for flocculating, coagulating, dispersing, stabilizing etc.
- Liquid silicon dioxide (colloidal silica) is used as a wine and juice fining agent.
- Colloidal silica is used in concrete densifiers and polished concrete.
Applied Material Solutions is the newest producer of colloidal silica in North America. Our process is customized to product a unique, uniform, spherical and tight particle size distribution with a low percentage of off size particles and contaminates.
Our initial production will focus on 6 colloidal silica grades: AMSol 15, AMSol 30, AMSol 35, AMSol 40, AMSol 45 and AMSol 50.
Click image of the graph below to view full Colloidal Silica Tech Info
|Silica as SiO2||pH||Surface Area m2/gm||Counter ion||Density||% Na2O|
Click image of the graph below to view full Colloidal Silica Application
|AMSol 15||scratch resistance, paper fines retention, cement densification, anionic coagulant|
|AMSol 30||binder for investment casting, anti-soilant in textiles, anti-block in films|
|AMSol 35||binder for investment casting, coating compositions, modifying adhesion|
|AMSol 40||binder for ceramic fiber shapes, rigidizing agent, attrition resistance in catalysts|
|AMSol 45||binder for ceramic fiber shapes, rigidizing agent, reinforcement|
|AMSol 50||rigidizing agent for refractory and ceramic materials, anti-slip properties for paper, density gradient|
Another asset unique to AMS is a functional pilot plant for colloidal silica development. Our goal is to provide our partner companies with products that match customer requirements and with products that other colloidal producers do not offer.
Please challenge us at AMS to meet your colloidal silica requirements!